Tuesday 5 February 2013

Hey, You Shouldn't Rate People on The Internet!

Wtf happened? 
My reaction....


So recently something horrifying happened, someone (lets call him 'N') attempted to 'tag' a large number of girls in a 'Rate Status' and then proceed, uninvited to 'rate' them, out of ten. And then, some of the GIRLS STARTED 'LIKING' THE PROCESS. Why would you support such a shallow and potentially damaging thing? WHAT HAPPENED TO SISTERHOOD?!

The main reason was that we are all taught to accept this kind of behavior, on a day to day basis, is that that this snidey, yet supposedly 'jokey' actions is referred to as Banter. which is basically an excuse to say anything. Two people are obviously flirting, well apparently it's only 'Banter', someone calls you fat/ugly, relax man, its only 'Banter'. and no-one wants to call the 'Banterers' (pretty sure that's not a word) in on this because to do so would seem like you were an uptight dickhead. In some cases the word 'banter' seems to excuse a lot. Sometimes you have to admit that some people are sensitive, and what you are saying, although in your head may be in jest, could really hurt other people. When I was younger, and I said something mean to my sister, and my excuse was 'I was only joking,' my mum would point out that it made no one laugh. And in my head, I knew the the joke excuse was a veiled lie anyway, I was saying those things too be mean. That is what is happening here, if the butt of the joke is not enjoying it, then it ISN'T A JOKE.

In this instance, I just don't think the excuse of 'banter' can be used. By judging and rating people in such a way you are implying that you have some kind of right to judge their body and that they should care what you think of them, as if your supposed elevated position means you own their body and their self esteem. It's simply an objectifying exercise. If you have invited such judging  and opted to have it pasted all over the internet, fair enough. Otherwise, people do not have the right to judge a person they barely know out of 10 on the internet.

Plus it's just plain rude.

Sorry for the ranting.

Dorothy

Might I add that this was posted because it happened TO ME and I was actually too upset to even blog about it, fact of the matter was none of the unwanted ratings were removed or apologised for and they seemed to just be stating a general male consensus that was previously 'a secret'. 

Daphne


No comments:

Post a Comment