Monday 10 June 2013

When Do You Stop Criticising Chris Brown

You said it Marty, 'what?'
I was innocently cruising Jezebel, just looking through the various posts, when I came across this comment and thread:

It got me doing some research on the respective cases, and then Roman Polanski and I just couldn't help but wonder is it wrong for me to indulge in a Woody Allen movie if I don't agree with what he has done, same with Polanski. I know Dorothy boycotts Chris Brown's music because of his domestic violence tendencies (interesting article that looks at the incident from a personal angle). 

Here's the thing, sometimes it's summer, I'm at a bar and I find myself singing along to 'Don't Wake Me Up', God damn you catchy pop factory, and all of a sudden I am guilt stricken because 'he's a bad man'. So the question I am asking here is, can you separate the issue or incident from the works of the person. I mean it's interesting because it would appear that to be morally upstanding human beings we have to shun the whole kit and caboodle. 

For example, Michael Jackson was a controversial topic of any conversation and divided millions after being accused of child molestation, essentially until his death, when he was rejuvenated as an icon and a star.  But people who were scrupulous of his behaviour would still be rocking out to MJ in the car, right? I am perplexed, I literally have no idea where I stand, on the one hand I am appalled by any sort of immoral and grossly illegal behaviour - but I like films and music and books, I struggle to stand anywhere on the issue without being a raging hypocrite. By Mum has to turn off MJ in the car she, to quote, 'can't stand the man and he definatly did it'.

That is also another point, in death people rarely bring out the Michael Jackson paedophile card because it is disrespectful. But Jimmy Savile in death is still being uncovered as a huge monster so clearly, stardom is the bigger factor here; however Britain is reeling from the shock discovery that someone they trusted, that raised lots for charity and allowed into there homes through television could commit such vile acts. Here there is no separation of work and being, Jimmy Savile has no legacy, he was immoral and disgusting. 

Looking at the many Hollywood and celebrity 'falls from grace' there is no pattern as to who will remain and who won't. Hollywood won't touch Mel Gibson with a barge pole but Woody Allen has a new film coming out. I suppose you also have to take into account that not everything we read is true or accurate, but then is there smoke without fire? I would like to reserve the right to say someone is not a good person but is gifted in a particular field, think about Hannibal Lecter, he was a murderer and a cannibal but wasn't he an ever so charming character in 'Silence of The Lambs'? Or is it like saying 'yeah but Hitler was a vegetarian'?

I know what you mean, and for me, it sometimes goes even further. Sometimes I feel weird for liking loads and loads of crime and horror programmes and films, as I think it makes me look a little psychotic. Are your tastes that reflective of who you are? For example,'Sex and the City' is watched by people who either live in, or emulate that lifestyle (is it though?), so is it weird to like media outlets that display disturbing acts? It makes me feel almost guilty. Also, on another note, Kate Moss continues to get big advertising contracts, even though she got caught snorting coke, and Naomi Campbell is still modelling royalty, even though she was involved with a blood diamonds scandal and throws things at people. I feel uncomfortable with the Woody Allan thing as well, I enjoyed 'Midnight in Paris', but I really really felt like I shouldn't because of his checkered personal life, AGREED, it was a good film, but I feel like I can't say that. The same with Eminem, he says some pretty horrific things about women, yet I continue to enjoy his music, does this mean I support him?

We don't forgive paedophiles who are plumbers just because they did a great job fixing your toilet, why do we forgive famous artists because we enjoy their movies/books/music? It's odd because we seem to demonise non-famous people/famous women/non-white celebrities for far less. Anne Hathaway and Kristen Stewart get more hate than Allen does which makes no sense to me.

 Animated Gif on Giphy

Short List of Male Celebrities that have allegedly beaten and/or raped women.
  • Charlie Sheen
  • Sean Connery
  • Gary Oldman
  • David Hasselhoff
  • Mel Gibson
  • Michael Fassbender
  • Nicholas Cage
  • Gary Busey
  • Bill Murray
  • Eminem
  • Alec Baldwin
  • Tommy Lee
  • Josh Brolin
  • Sean Penn
  • Woody Allen
  • Roman Polanski
  • Axl Rose
  • Sonny Bono
  • John Lennon
  • Sean Bean
  • Elvis Presley
  • Kelsey Grammar
  • Rob Lowe
  • Chris Brown
  Animated Gif on Giphy

I literally have no idea how to feel.

Yet, they're still everywhere, and it seems in fairness that Chris Brown is getting demonised more than the rest of them. Maybe it's because Woody Allen and Michael Jackson (and Roman Polanski) are considered to be genius artists, so I think the public wants to forgive them more. I don't think anyone ever considered Chris Brown to be a genius? With that, my dear friend, I concur. 

Dorothy and Daphne


No comments:

Post a Comment